Do you make your own templates?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you design your own Wordpress templates or buy a custom made template? I've seen several template listings on Etsy that are really good, minimalist and elegant and the same time but I hesitate to buy one because of the prices ( average 30$ ).

Do you think it's worth the price? Is it better to learn to make your own template than buying an already made one?

Thanks.
[Image: aG9zXgX_460sa.gif]
There is no shortcut to a dream.
My Skype: Minewals

Do you design your own Wordpress templates or buy a custom made template? I've seen several template listings on Etsy that are really good, minimalist and elegant and the same time but I hesitate to buy one because of the prices ( average 30$ ).

Do you think it's worth the price? Is it better to learn to make your own template than buying an already made one?

Thanks.

I would say it completely depends on what design you want. If you can live with something that has been designed for you (a template) that is the easiest aand most inexpensive way to go. If you have a design or a layout from a designer (and need to program it) you probably will find it hard to find a template that looks like that design. Anyway... $30 for a theme is not expensive. Some themes cost twice as much.

Here are a few links on creating themes:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

http://themeshaper.com/2009/06/22/wordpr...-tutorial/

http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/word..._theme.htm

(12-06-2013, 10:42 PM)shiloh Wrote: Do you design your own Wordpress templates or buy a custom made template? I've seen several template listings on Etsy that are really good, minimalist and elegant and the same time but I hesitate to buy one because of the prices ( average 30$ ).

Thanks.
I would say it completely depends on what design you want. If you can live with something that has been designed for you (a template) that is the easiest aand most inexpensive way to go. If you have a design or a layout from a designer (and need to program it) you probably will find it hard to find a template that looks like that design. Anyway... $30 for a theme is not expensive. Some themes cost twice as much.

Here are a few links on creating themes:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

http://themeshaper.com/2009/06/22/wordpr...-tutorial/

http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/word..._theme.htm

(12-06-2013, 10:42 PM)shiloh Wrote: Do you design your own Wordpress templates or buy a custom made template? I've seen several template listings on Etsy that are really good, minimalist and elegant and the same time but I hesitate to buy one because of the prices ( average 30$ ).

Thanks.
I use Thesis which is a framework. You can design almost anything and put it into Thesis by setting Thesis basics up as you want it and then code some CSS. You don't have to be an expert in CSS as the Thesis support forum can help you with a loooot of things.

Thesis also have Styles. This way you can actually load a style in Thesis and change the design just as if you normally would change the template.
I use Thesis which is a framework. You can design almost anything and put it into Thesis by setting Thesis basics up as you want it and then code some CSS. You don't have to be an expert in CSS as the Thesis support forum can help you with a loooot of things.

Thesis also have Styles. This way you can actually load a style in Thesis and change the design just as if you normally would change the template.
I sadly buy my own since i never really have time to create one, and since i am at college and am currently working on a blog of my own.
I sadly buy my own since i never really have time to create one, and since i am at college and am currently working on a blog of my own.
Very often a bougth template can be customized so much that it does not look like andoter version of the same template at another site :-) And a lot of them are seriously professional in design as well as functionallity. It is amazing what you can buy for $70!!

(12-07-2013, 09:44 AM)Brad123 Wrote: I sadly buy my own since i never really have time to create one, and since i am at college and am currently working on a blog of my own.
Very often a bougth template can be customized so much that it does not look like andoter version of the same template at another site :-) And a lot of them are seriously professional in design as well as functionallity. It is amazing what you can buy for $70!!

(12-07-2013, 09:44 AM)Brad123 Wrote: I sadly buy my own since i never really have time to create one, and since i am at college and am currently working on a blog of my own.
(12-07-2013, 11:11 AM)Andrea29 Wrote: Very often a bougth template can be customized so much that it does not look like andoter version of the same template at another site :-) And a lot of them are seriously professional in design as well as functionallity. It is amazing what you can buy for $70!!

70$? and I thought 30$ was expensive, I would never pay 70$ for a template.

(12-07-2013, 11:11 AM)Andrea29 Wrote: Very often a bougth template can be customized so much that it does not look like andoter version of the same template at another site :-) And a lot of them are seriously professional in design as well as functionallity. It is amazing what you can buy for $70!!

I actually do both. I let my customers decide. If they are willing to pay for special design, I'm willing to do the programming.
I actually do both. I let my customers decide. If they are willing to pay for special design, I'm willing to do the programming.
(12-07-2013, 11:56 PM)shiloh Wrote:

Agreed, i only normally spend about $35 - 45 on a template never $70.
(12-07-2013, 11:56 PM)shiloh Wrote:

Agreed, i only normally spend about $35 - 45 on a template never $70.
I always use premade templates usually between $35-70. Im more of a designer that a programmer so I talk my customers into buying something and it's usually not hard to find beautiful templates.
I always use premade templates usually between $35-70. Im more of a designer that a programmer so I talk my customers into buying something and it's usually not hard to find beautiful templates.
Etsy is good. Almost bought one there but ended up with another from Themeforest.
Etsy is good. Almost bought one there but ended up with another from Themeforest.